Tuesday, April 13, 2010

4-13-10 - Day 22 of Radiation, Post-2nd Chemotherapy Treatment

Yesterday was the second chemo treatment. This information is coming straight from my dad, as I am sitting here in Bakersfield! He isn't taking any pain medicines besides acetaminophen (I wish he would but they all seem to bother him in some way or another). But there is some good news! (see PROS below...)

CONS
- It takes long to begin ... They have to draw and analyze the blood and add what is needed (e.g. if he is low on potassium they will add it to the IV bag, etc.). This can add an hour to the process.
- "You just sit in a big chair and look like a dummy," he says, but I doubt this!
- It takes about 4 hours total for the process, at this point in the treatment. Yesterday he went in at 8:30 and got home at 2:30, which included a radiation treatment.

PROS
- The tumor has shrunk! We will see how much tomorrow...
- After tomorrow, they are going to remap the radiation treatment (for the third time) in order to pinpoint the worst areas and work on those.
- Eventually the time to administer the chemo should be shortened.

Tomorrow we have the appointment with the ENT Dr. Trang so there should be more information then...


2 comments:

  1. Whoooo hoooo - the tumor is responding and shrinking - this is definitely good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Jessie! His comment just cracked me up! I wanted you guys to know that I check this blog everyday and you are constantly on my mind. I love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete